Product Design Engineer – New Star Lighting – Chicago, IL
New Star Lighting has been a leading manufacturer of luminaries for more than 30 years. The company has built its business on superior customer service, innovation, and developing products to overcome challenging environments. We specialize in healthcare, cleanroom, architectural vandal resistant, high abuse, transportation, retrofits, and confinement applications.
The primary function of this role will be to design new lighting fixtures that have a competitive edge in the healthcare and vandal resistant market. The engineer will be expected to work on both new product concepts as well as refinements on existing product lines.
- Develop products from concept to completion including, but not limited to: design, drawings, part detailing, prototype assembly, installation instructions, certification and documentation
- Design and implement custom product modifications
- Create BOMs for product releases
- Technical support to production, sales, customer service and purchasing
- Obtain UL/ETL listings, LM79 reports and other industry certifications
- Conduct in-house thermal and water testing
- Stay up to date on lighting trends and styles, technological advancements, regulatory and market changes
- Participate as a team member on cross-functional projects and across multiple departments
- On occasion, travel to various seminars/trade shows as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering mandatory
- Knowledge of new product development and familiarity with the newest LED technology and controls
- Mandatory experience with the UL certification process, LM-79, and other industry standards
- Good working knowledge of SolidWorks – Revit, AGi32 and/or Photopia knowledge is a plus
- Capability in multi-tasking, including prioritization of work and management / organization of time.
- Requires excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Strong drive for results is essential, with self-directed leadership, requiring minimal supervision & being proactive.
- Ability to adapt to ever-changing technology and a fast-paced environment
- 3-5 years of experience preferred
If interested, please submit your resume and any additional documents that you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in New Star Lighting.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship. No relocation stipend – candidates must live within 50 miles of Chicago..