LED R&D Engineer Leader
Exciting new technologies like LED, increasing energy costs, recent energy legislation, and green building trends are creating unparalleled opportunities within the lighting industry. We’re looking for a LED R&D Engineer leader to assist us being a major player of his rapidly changing field of commercial and industrial lighting development.
Reporting to the Executive vice-president of the Luminaires Group (TLG) and located in our Montreal office, the candidate will lead a strong and dynamic design and engineering team to develop and implement unique and innovative solutions to enable each entity of the group to be a leader in LED technology in each of their markets.
This position will require a special blend of electronics hardware, firmware, mechanical hardware and lighting optics expertise to help TLG divisions continue to bring themselves to the next level.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the design teams of each entity of TLG in LED development, application and future trend mapping,
- Deploying the technological product strategies throughout TLG divisions,
- Review, understand, plan and implement change of testing and certification of LED and lighting fixtures,
- Building an effective competence network with, industry partners, universities and suppliers. Active review of industry and academic research to acquire new insights, strengthen the knowledge base and competence of the design team and yourself in the domains lighting technology
- Contributing to build the engineering competence in the LED and technology program by an attitude of active learning and outward looking
- Active participation in the development process, from the evaluation of user needs to product specification
- Participating in the validation and development of new products involving LED technology to achieve the desired level of quality;
- Internal training of both Design and Development as well as sales teams on lighting technology including LED, OLED, thermal and colour management, life expectancy, optics, lighting controls systems and more.
- Review and approve components, systems and equipment, involved in existing lighting assembly and production.
- Close contact and coordination with TLG division Product Management team
- Identify improvement opportunities for new and existing products and propose changes
- Actively involved in the IES and / or other lighting and LED committees to learn, network and promote TLG and its divisions
- Must be experienced in LED technology (design, manufacturing, supply chain and marketing), lighting design, lighting controls application, optics, etc.
- Strong technical knowledge of drivers, power supply units and dimming systems used in lighting industry,
- Good organizational and communication skills,
- Strong written and oral communication skills (English is mandatory)
- A strong customer focus, with energy, enthusiasm and motivational ability to inspire the development of new high quality products for our customers.
- Strong knowledge and experience with the Canadian and American Electrical Code as well as UL and CSA standards and FCC/DOE in relation to lighting products.
- Experience working both independently and in team-oriented environments.
- Familiarity with international electric, electronics regulatory and safety requirements
- Well-tuned documentation, presentation and training skills to accurately and efficiently communicate with management and other members of the organization.
- Ability to speak in front of groups of people about TLG LED technology and future development (internal seminars and at light fair or other lighting events)
Education and/or Experience required:
- Engineering degree in electrical technology, electronics, physics from a recognized engineering university.
- Relevant industry experience (electronic, electrical or physics engineering degree)
- Approximately 10 years of electronic/electrical design experience in high tech, multi-disciplinary systems (ideally LED industry)
Approximately 25% travel requirement (in various division of The Luminaires group as well as visiting lighting and technology fairs)
- Adaptability / resourcefulness
- Strong attention to detail, timely and independent
- Good interpersonal skills and able to manage multiple priorities
- Analytical skills and problem solving
- Ability to work in a matrix structure organisation
Working with teams of award winning designers and in an environment that is aiming to be world class and industry leading.
We offer you an inspiring work environment that is internationally and multidisciplinary oriented, with a variety of projects
A project-based environment where people have both advanced theoretical knowledge and the capacity to put that knowledge into practice. We offer you opportunities for growth both in technical and personal development.
The Luminaires Group is a North American lighting manufacturer “platform” combining strong niche brands. The Group’s current partners are Amerillum Brands, encompassing a•light, Alumen8; Eureka Lighting; Cyclone Lighting and Distri-Lite. Each brings to North American lighting markets enhanced customer service capability, R&D, product breadth, manufacturing and applications expertise. The Luminaires Group model, as an “umbrella corporation,” is to build on the distinct product advantages of each member company, working with them to leverage their individual and combined capabilities. Through its strategic acquisitions, The Luminaires Group is becoming a leader in providing professional lighting specifiers and the electrical community at large with a wide range of contemporary energy saving
Visit The Luminaires Group on the web at www.theluminairesgroup.com
To apply for the position; please send your resume to email@example.com