Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Product Development Engineering
- Works with R&D and marketing team to create concepts for innovative lighting products
- Directly manages design process for electronic design projects
- Coordinates with mechanical engineering to create finished lighting products
- Works with in-house production and outside vendors to refine designs for manufacturing
- Creates detailed drawings to communicate components to in-house/outside production
- Coordinates prototype builds
- Works with vendors to provide component quotations
- Delivers project milestones on time per product road map
- Engages with industry trade groups to maintain excellent working knowledge of technological trends in the industry
- Travels nationally and internationally to attend trade shows and visit suppliers
- Works with suppliers from prototyping through production
- Serves as liaison to UL and ETL and coordinates listing of all products
- Engages in continuing education to maintain excellent working knowledge of current and future compliance and regulatory issues affecting the lighting industry
- Adheres to Company Vision in all matters
o Project First. An understanding of the nature of our business and our place in it: i.e. structure to handle fast turns, short lead times, and large sample volume is essential to success at Optic Arts. We are last in line in the construction cycle, we need to build around that knowledge.
o Application Design. We are in the business of selling solutions not products. Our customer forward staff need to understand how our technology is applied and are expected to apply that understanding in their every interaction with our customers.
o People Matter. The foundation of this business and industry is strong relationships. Having empathy for our customers, agents and vendors is a key part of our success. We must understand their “Job to be Done” and believe that their needs are important in order to provide an unmatched level of service.
o Profitability is a Goal, not a Philosophy. Our operating philosophy is that following the principals outlined above will lead to increased sales and profits. This is fundamental to the operation and philosophy of Optic Arts and should be reinforced in every interaction inside and outside of the building.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to effectively communicate design concepts in writing, via oral presentations and by sketching and drafting
- Capable of problem solving in a complex and quickly evolving manufacturing environment
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s of Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred; applicants without a degree may still be considered based on significant experience
- Advanced experience with use of SolidWorks to create models and drawings for parts and assemblies
- Experience using optical modeling software to simulate designs preferred
- Experience designing mass produced parts and systems made of metals, plastics and electronic components using techniques including but not limited to extrusion (aluminum and plastic), injection molding, machining, casting, potting, laser cutting, water jet cutting, metal stamping, 3D printing, robotic SMT component placement (pick-and-place) and reflow soldering
- Experience in thermal design for electronics applications required
- Advanced knowledge of electrical and electronic design required; knowledge specific to LED lighting systems preferred
- Experience in designing lighting products a plus
- Experience in PCB layout required
- Advanced knowledge of LED component supply chain preferred
- Experience designing advanced LED drive electronics using constant current and PWM technologies a plus
- Bilingual English/Mandarin preferred
- Regularly required to type, use measurements tools, simple hand tools and occasionally operate manufacturing tools for training and prototyping purposes
- Occasional domestic and international travel will be required.
- Is typically in a climate controlled office area with occasional work in an ambient temperature warehouse environment
- Occasionally is exposed to dust, fumes or chemicals and outside weather conditions per normal warehouse operating environment.
- Occasionally required to travel domestically and internationally