Cree Lighting – Advanced Technology Manager
We currently have an opening for a Manager to lead our team of Research Engineers as Cree continues to innovate in the LED Lighting market. This position is located in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area.
As the Cree Lighting R&D team manager, you will be the leader who will support Cree in a wide variety of Solid State Lighting (SSL) products including fixtures, modules, and lamps. This primarily requires leading the activities of engineers and technicians towards execution of a variety of stated goals within a hands-on lab environment. These goals are sometimes only reached through experimentation, needing proper guidance and execution. The manager will be responsible for bringing new capability to the lab, including acquisition of newly purchased equipment, modifications to existing equipment, and custom equipment. Driving the next generation of new technologies also requires recruiting and on-boarding the best engineering resources available to maintain the Advanced Technology team’s leadership in the lighting industry.
The Manager will interact with a variety of other Cree teams including LED components, Lighting product development, Lighting Marketing and Lighting operations. Further, the successful candidate will interact with external suppliers and customers. Some travel, both domestic and overseas, will be required.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Leader of a team responsible for the development of the next generation of technologies utilized as the building blocks for industry leading LED luminaires.
- Develop technology roadmaps.
- Direct or assist the management of multiple experiments at any given time.
- Work with external suppliers to accelerate understanding and implementation of new technologies.
- Monitor the progress, effectiveness, and integrity of experiments.
- Report experimental results using a variety of tools (database, statistical analysis, presentation)
- Find simple ways to achieve the goal within a short time period and see their implementation through.
- Provide training to the techs as well as continual monitoring towards making sure set goals are being met.
- Conduct Annual performance appraisals and develop individuals on the team to achieve higher performance.
- Mentor the research engineers to improve technical problem solving and leadership abilities.
- Develop, test and document workable procedures for self and other engineers.
- Thrive in a high-pressure, deadline-oriented atmosphere.
- Have a ‘whatever-it-takes’ attitude.
- Self-starter, able to manage projects with minimal guidance.
- Able to interpret results to support continuous process improvement.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- BS or MS (PhD preferred) in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or other technical field required.
- Strong hands-on based technical aptitude is required.
- 5+ years of experience managing a Research and Development team.
- Diverse skills (computer, mechanical, programming) – the ability to get the job done efficiently.
- Permanent Resident / Green Card status.
- Efficient use of Data analysis tools such as JMP, Excel, SQL, Access or programming language.
- Experience in practical applications of advanced predictive modeling in areas such as thermal, optical, mechanical, or electrical.
- Success developing and implementing technology roadmaps.
- Please visit our website to submit a resume for consideration – www.cree.com/careers
- Click Job Listings, and then select Staff Positions
- In the job list, search for #951497 - Advanced Technology Manager, Cree Lighting R&D
- Click the job title to apply